Making your own hair care products gives you the peace of mind of knowing what is in them and allows you to avoid irritants and fillers often found in hair salon central. Making your own products also gives you a chance to scent them the way you want and make as much as you need.
You might think that your hair will never survive without shampoo and conditioner and it will end up extremely oily, but actually the opposite is true. The more you get rid of natural oils from your hair, the more oil the body will produce. That’s why your hair tends to get greasy fast.
At the same time, the use of shampoos and conditioners can actually endanger your health because of the number of chemicals found in them. Remember, the skin absorbs anything you put on it and eventually, it will be transported into your bloodstream and to the different organs in your body.
Dr. Jacqueline Krohn stated in her book, the entire thanks to Natural Detoxification: the entire Guide to Clearing Your Body of poisons , “Caustic chemicals, like alkaline solutions, also can penetrate the skin. Once a chemical has penetrated the corneum (the most superficial layer of skin), it moves through the epidermis and into the dermis. Then the rich blood supply of the dermis readily transports the chemical into the bloodstream: MI Just another reason why It is important to know what is in your luxury hair products.
– 1/2 cup castile soap
– 1/3 cup of coconut milk (fresh or canned)
– 1/2 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil –
– 25 drops of your favourite essential oils
1. Place in a plastic container with a lid (like an old shampoo bottle) and shake well.
2. Shampoo your hair as normal
Baking Soda Shampoo
One ingredient that works wonders on your hair is baking soda. It’s actually a gentle ingredient, considered to be the weakest alkaline and works effectively in getting rid of chemical build-up in your hair.
– 1 cup water
– 1 tablespoon baking soda
– 1 squeeze bottle
1. Pour the water into the bottle
2. Add the baking soda and shake until mixed thoroughly.
3. Apply to hair and wash as usual.
Note: if your hair is thick and/or curly, add an extra tea-spoon of baking soda. If you hair is thin and/or fine, use slightly less.
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 3 cups warm water
– 1/2 cup white vinegar (dark hair)
– 1/2 cup lemon Juice (light hair)
1. Begin by mixing the cup of water with the vinegar OR lemon Juice in a plastic bowl
2. Now pour the two beaten eggs into your hair and massage them into your scalp
3. Allow them to remain in your hair for a couple of minutes.
4. Now rinse with the water solution and additional water if desired
On days when you just can’t seem to get a shower because little ones demand your time or you are In a hurry, a dry shampoo absorbs the oil in your hair, helping it look clean.
– 2 tablespoons corn starch (for light hair) OR 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (for dark hair)
– 2 tablespoons arrowroot
– 4 drops of your favourite essential oils
Mix the corn starch and arrowroot together, then add the drops of essential oils. Place in a closed container and use an old makeup brush to apply to the roots and oily parts of your hair. Allow the powder to stay for a few minutes, then comb through to remove the powder.
Conditioners fall into several different categories. Whether you are trying to moisturize your hair, detangle it, or recondition it, a good hair conditioner is not hard to make at all. Many ingredients can be used to give your hair shine and to protect it from damage. in addition, making your own condition is so much cheaper.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
This rinse can be used after the baking soda shampoo is used because it works as a mild acid and is a perfect replacement for a conditioner. It will detangle your hair follicles, seal the hair cuticles, and balance the hair’s pH level.
– 1 cup water
– 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s vinegar with “the mother”)
– 3 drops of your favourite essential oils to mask the vinegar smell if you desire
– 1 squeeze bottle
Mix the water, vinegar, and essential oils together into the squeeze bottle and shake to blend. Apply to your hair as you normally would any conditioner, then rinse out.
A very simple conditioner is when you lather in several tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil Into your hair after washing. After a couple of minutes, rinse thoroughly to remove the oil. It will hydrate your hair without leaving it feeling oily if you rinsed it well.